If may be time to replace that old furnace. Before you experience a full blown breakdown, your furnace will usually show some warning signs before it completely stops working. Don’t wait until a cold night in the middle of winter to realize your furnace is not operating. Have an assessment done now by a furnace repair specialist in Barrie if you are experiencing any of these furnace failure warning signs.
1. One of the most dangerous byproducts of a failing furnace is carbon monoxide. This colorless, odorless gas is toxic and can be deadly. If you or your family are experiencing burning eyes, nausea, flu-like symptoms, or disorientation, open windows and immediately call a gas technician. A crack in your heat exchanger can leak carbon monoxide into your home undetected. Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home and maintain it faithfully.
2. Consider the age of your furnace. The lifespan of the average furnace is between 16 and 20 years. If your furnace is nearing that two decade mark, you may want to consider shopping for a replacement. It is always best to be prepared instead of scrambling in the middle of an emergency breakdown to research new furnaces. A furnace replacement is always best as part of a well planned and researched project, not an emergency. Talk to a furnace repair professional in Barrie to get information about new furnace and heating systems on the market so you can be informed and prepared.
3. Are your fuel costs going up? Exponentially rising heating costs could indicate that you have a furnace problem. As furnaces age, they often need to work harder and are not as efficient as they once were. This can result in your fuel costs to escalate.
4. Is your furnace making strange noises? Noises such as squealing, banging, or rattling can indicate problems. Blowers that turn on and off frequently or ones that run excessively may be signs of a furnace failure in the making.
5. Is your home maintaining a comfortable temperature or are you constantly nudging the thermostat? A well operating furnace should be able to maintain a consistent temperature and properly distribute air. Your thermostat could also require service or replacement. Contact an HVAC specialist in Barrie to do a diagnostic checkup to see where your furnace may be experiencing a problem.
6. As a furnace ages, components can wear out and need to be replaced or repaired. If you find you have continuously serviced your furnace over the last few years, it may indicate that your system will need replacement soon. Do a cost analysis to see whether continuing to spend money on repairs makes sense.
7. Look for other signs that you may need to contact an HVAC or furnace repair technician in Barrie. Is your burner flame the right color? A yellow burner flame indicates improper combustion and can create carbon monoxide. Look for streaks of soot, excess moisture on surfaces, rusting on the vent pipe. All these things can indicate that you should call for a checkup of your furnace to see if repairs are necessary.
Don’t wait until you have a full breakdown of your furnace. Keep mindful of small signs that may indicate a furnace repair is necessary. Always contact a professional HVAC expert in Barrie to conduct repairs and maintenance to make sure that things are being done safely and properly.